You just woke up, in desperate need of some greasy food and you get the message “I like you, #amosc.” Now’s not the time you want to decode some message. That’s where we come in.
Let’s get the obvious cleared up right away, after all, that’s why you’re on this page:
AMOSC means: Add Me On SnapChat
You will sometimes see AMOS instead of AMOSC. Basically, they mean the exact same thing. Just one of them uses just the “S” in Snapchat whereas the other one uses both the “S” and “C” in Snapchat.
Snapchat and other social media platforms have a ton of acronyms that are sometimes hard to decipher. There are the typical texting acronyms we’ve seen for a decade, but with the rise in popularity of Snapchat, we’ve seen a whole host of new acronyms pop up.
When we first saw AMOSC, we were eager to find the definition quickly and get on our way snapping.
To make things a bit more confusing there is an organization called the Australian Marine Oil Spill Centre that uses the exact same acronym. As you can imagine, you’ll have to use context clues as to what the person is referring to.
Is There An AMOSC App / Website?
Well, the person wants you to become friends on Snapchat. We’ll discuss below how to add a friend on the app.
If you’re looking for a website, at this point you can’t login to Snapchat online without some sort of emulator and a whole host of potential complications. The maker of Snapchat just hasn’t decided to develop a PC or Mac version of their platform yet. Maybe that’ll change in the future, though! We would recommend simply grabbing your iPhone, opening Snapchat and adding the friend.
How To Add Someone On Snapchat
Adding someone on Snapchat can be a bit different than other social media platforms like Instagram or Twitter. Thankfully, Snap (the parent company of Snapchat) has provided us with a number of tools to both find and add friends on Snapchat.
This is one of the things Snapchat is at the cutting edge with, Snapchat works to have a number of different options to add friends without simply the traditional search function to lookup a username.
Say you have a friend from high school or college and want to connect on Snapchat. There are lots of options but the first and foremost requirement is that your friend has to already have a Snapchat account.
If they’re asking you to add them on Snapchat they likely already have the app downloaded and installed so we’re good there.
Method 1: ? Add Friends From Address Book
The easiest way to add someone on Snapchat is to use your address book on your mobile phone. Just follow these steps and their Snapchat username will pop up if they have an account already.
- Open Snapchat and tap the Bitmoji / Face icon at the top left
- Tap Add Friends
- From there you will see a list of people to add. You can opt to tap “all contacts” at the upper right of the screen. That will bring in all your address book contacts to see if they have a Snapchat profile.
Method 2: ? Add Friends From Search
This could be the best bet if you got a message to AMOSC because they most likely just included their Snapchat username. The search function is a quick and easy way to lookup and add someone if you already know their name.
- Same as Method 2, open Snapchat
- Tap the search icon at the top left next to your bitmoji
- From there a text field will pop up, type in their Snapchat username
- Once their profile shows up, tap the “Add” button
Method 3: Add Friends From Quick Add
You can always use the quick add option if Snapchat thinks you should be friends with someone and automatically show them as a person to connect with. There is also a way to add a friend if they are mentioned in a story, just swipe up and click add.
Snapchat doesn’t entirely disclose how they come up with friends that appear on your “quick add” list. But they do say it is a combination of friends of friends, accounts that you have interacted with in the past, accounts you subscribe to, etc.
Method 4: Add Friends Using Mentions
This is very clever of Snapchat. If one of your friends tags you or mentions you in their snap, anyone that views that snap will be given the option to add you as part of the “mention.”
To add someone using a mention you can simply swipe up on the snap and it will give you the option to add the friend that is mentioned.
Method 4: Add Friends Using Snapcode
The last method is by snapcode, which is the unique yellow image with black dots and your bitmoji in the center. That is sort of your calling card so that people can add you just from pointing your camera at their snapcode. If you don’t already have a snapcode, you can make one here.
To add someone using the snapcode, you simply scan the code using your phone’s camera and Snapchat will automatically add the person as a friend.
Issues With Adding Someone On Snapchat?
There are three ways you may not be able to add someone on Snapchat.
- The other person you’re trying to add has actually blocked you. If they did block you then you can’t, obviously, add them as a friend.
- Sometimes a person will delete their Snapchat account and you can even try to add them directly using their username but you can’t add them since they’ve deleted their account.
- Lastly, there is an unspoken rule that limits how many Snapchat friends you can have. Snapchat has never disclosed what the friend limit is, but they do say “it’s A LOT” so you shouldn’t have to worry about this. Some sites place the number at about 5,000 friends as the limit. However, if you run into the snapchat friend limit, you can always remove connections that you don’t regularly interact with and that way you can add the new person.